Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dental School!

I know it's a little late, but here is my sweet husband on his first day of school!
We're now two weeks into it, and Dane has felt the pressure.  A typical day includes Dane leaving for school somewhere between 6:45 - 7:45 to catch the shuttle or bus to the T.  (For those of you that haven't been to Boston the T is the Boston public transit trains.) His schedule is different pretty much everyday.  His classes include gross anatomy, nutrition, dental anatomy, bio-chem, operative dentistry, ethics, and introduction to clinical experience.  After classes finish, he typically stays at school to study until about 7, then makes the trek home.  He usually gets home about 7:45 or 8.  Busy day! Dane told me that during dental school I'll probably get some hobbies that I enjoy doing without him.  It made me get emotional when he said that.  I'm such a baby. It's a hard pill to swallow that I'm not going to have my husband around much for the next 4 years.

In his anatomy class they spend some time in the classroom flying through labeling things and then essentially "drop them off" in the lab where they have been divided into groups.  Each group has their own cadaver that they are supposed to dissect and identify all the nerves, arteries, muscles, etc.  Because BYU has a good anatomy lab Dane was used to cadavers and was able to jump in the first day and start working on their cadaver.  There were some group members that did fairly well, and others that looked a little pale.  Two days later this girl, that was pale faced initially, showed up to lab and told the group that she had skipped breakfast.  This is never a good thing to do when you are going to be in the lab.  After a little while Dane was noticing that she had lost her color and was looking a little clammy.  He told her she should probably go outside the lab and sit down for a little while.  She finally agreed and Dane decided to follow her out the door to make sure she would be alright.  She got to the door and tried to pull it open.... and that's when she fainted for the first time.  Dane caught her and helped her get outside the door.  She came to about 30 seconds later, and rested for a couple minutes.  The teacher by that time was there to help Dane.  The teacher, having gone through this every year says, "well get up, and let's get going." She stands up again only to take two more steps and faint again.  Dane was there once again to catch her.  The teacher got her to come to again with smelling salts.  After another minute of resting they tried to help this girl up... She took about three steps again and fainted for the third time.  By this point they decided she had better go get some breakfast.  A wise decision.

Here's Dane in"Pre-Clin" - which really means pre-clinic.  Working on his head.
Unfortunately his sits behind a pillar and can't see the teacher but, he can see two TV's that show the feed from the camera that is on the teacher, and what the teacher is working on.

3 comments:

  1. If only all your patients will keep their mouths open that well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween is coming, where can I get a head like that? My imagination is going crazy with things that I can do with that. I'll need the glasses too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.s. My brother-in-law is Brad Storrs, and I mentioned that I had a friend who's husband is going to dental school from BYU too... when I told him your names, he totally knew Dane!! So fun! Small world... I definitely think there's way less than 6 degrees of separation, at least in the LDS community!

    ReplyDelete