Friday, November 9, 2012

Hit the bus!

On my way home from work today we were cruising along on the Tobin Bridge. Then... Thunk! And I hear glass shattering and tinkling.  What the.... I look in the back of the bus, (which is where I typically sit... not today) expecting to see someone that has slumped to the floor having a seizure.  The bus driver stops the bus, and I'm wondering if he is going to help out the person that I'm assuming I can't see in the back seat.  The driver stands up, and said "he hit my bus!" and walks off the bus to go and see what was happening behind the bus.
It turns out that the 111 bus clipped this truck, and the truck swerved into our bus... no win situation.  The truck lost mirrors on both sides tonight. The 111 bus driver continued on and didn't stop.  We waited on the top of the Tobin Bridge (a bridge that is 2 miles long) for about 45 minutes.  The Tobin currently has construction going on, so it's always a pain getting over it.  We had a standing bus in one of the two lanes that were open.  I texted Dane and told him that there was going to be a lot of traffic if he tried to come home on the bus.  It turns out that shortly after we crippled the Friday evening commute they started diverting other busses from the Tobin, and sending them to the Sumner Tunnel.  Our friends were on one of those busses.
We had cops show up.  Then MBTA wanted to take the bus and all the passengers to the Chelsea court house.  The passengers had a fit with that.  It was about then that another bus was driving by.  The bus driver and another passenger flagged it down.  I found out that it was the last bus going home via the bridge.  We hopped on that bus and headed home an hour after we initially boarded the bus.  Another lady was talking loudly about how she has been riding the bus for 30 years and this was only the 2nd time that this had happened.
We were glad that no one was hurt, and that we had a bus driver that was looking out for us.  He was a "cutie."
We were able to come home, enjoy dinner with friends, and now Dane is kicking off the BYU Basketball season with the team.
Also - Side note - Dane and I got a home computer so I can now update more regularly!  It's been a little difficult updating since Dane is always studying on the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment