Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The tale of The Pen

This may seem like a menial thing, but Dane and I seem pretty particular about the pens that we like.  Dane's preference is a .5 G2.  I like Zebra Fine point and the Foray .7 retractable.  Now, this development with the Foray started when I worked at Stevens-Henager College, and they would occasionally get these pens in.  I had one pen that I took with me when I left the job, thanks to my friend Ethan.  That pen ended up at a training event at my next job at the Boston Harbor Hotel.  I was dutifully taking notes when we had a five minute break.  I left my Foray .7 pen unattended, and when I came back IT WAS GONE!!!  I was devastated. (#firstworldproblems)
   I didn't remember the name of the pen, I just kept remembering it was something like "Fenway" (maybe that's why I like it).
Fast forward a year, and Dane and I are sitting in the Saturday evening session of stake conference and I group of YSA were sitting in front of us.  They stood up and left with probably 45 minutes to go in the program.  One of them had left a pen on the ground that looked like my favorite pen.  I didn't want to get up, walk across the isle (we were sitting along the back wall) (at least we were there, right!?), pull the chair away, and grab the pen during the meeting.  So I waited, and sweated bullets when some other people came and sat right by this pen.  Oh my gosh. I was focused on that pen like a hawk.  When the meeting ended, and the people sitting right by it didn't take then pen, and left the isle, I picked up the pen to find that it was the same style as my long lost pen.  Amazing.  Now equipped with the knowledge of what kind of pen this was, I could order them myself.
Now, six months after that I was finally getting to ordering them.  Since I know they only sell them at one office supply store... Office Depot.  I was out and about when I saw that across the parking lot was an office store.  I went on in, looking for my pen.  No luck.  So I went home an checked online and found them. They were about an hour and a half away.  But I thought that was weird that they didn't list the location that I was at earlier.  So, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I  called up the Office Max that I was at earlier and asked them if they could order in my pens.  They got the brand, etc. from me and went to the isle to find them.  They kept me on hold for 5 minutes while they looked.  They came back on, and asked for the product number.  I gave it to them.  They said that was weird that they couldn't locate it on their system.  I kindly told them that I was looking at it on their website right at that moment.  They said they were going to try something else and put me back on hold.  Once he put me back on hold I started looking at something.... I had looked up the product and the store location and number on different tabs on my internet page.... and... the icons were different.  Weird... Wait.  Office Max. Office Depot. Who knew there were two different "Office" stores.  Apparently not me.  Not wanting to spend another 5 minutes on hold I hung up.  Yes, I did. Those poor workers that were probably so confused by this lady that had called, saying that she was looking at the product on their website right then.  What a dork.
Sooo... Long story short.... (except not really, since this has been pretty long already) I found a way that did not involve me driving 3 hours roundtrip to get a box of pens.  It just so happens that my mom was in Utah right then, where there are Office Depots everywhere.  She was heading to Costco that evening, which just so happened to be a block away from a Depot.  Score.  I should be set for pens for quite some time.

2 comments: