I have been looking around for jobs lately, and I stumbled upon the website for the Provo city education site. There were some jobs on there for school teachers, and that got me thinking about when I was a kid. (School teacher opening>large class getting split>kids wanting to stay with their friends>how is that decision made?>How was that decision made for me in school?>Did they put me in a specific class to get me away from bullies?) I remembered when I was in the 4th grade... Which is still the hardest year for me socially. I was picked on pretty badly. I remember my 4th grade teacher would literally stand and watch as I was made fun of and teased. At the time my respect for her as a teacher dropped dramatically since she wasn't strong enough to look out for her students. I was angry at her for allowing that activity to continue. As I have grown up I have given away those feelings, but I still have that sensitivity to those that are degraded by those around them. My plea to all of you is to look out for those around you. Have the courage to say "stop" to those aggressors that make themselves feel better about their insecurities at others expense.
As I write this I'm thinking about what I witnessed yesterday. I was running in the park and a brother and his friends were teasing the younger brother. The big boys had the little guys shoes and were essentially playing "keep away." I ran through the little crowd but I didn't say anything. Obviously, this is sort of thing happens with siblings and kids. But my point is be alert to those situations where you can help. So I include myself in this invitation to be brave, and be nice.
Love this post!
ReplyDelete