Dane, my dear, if I die before you please just put my name on the headstone!
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Headstone thoughts
About two years ago I was on a run. For some reason running through the Provo Cemetery was something I had taken to. I would spend some time trying to find my aunt's headstone (which I finally found after about a year and a half of looking) and I would run up and down the streets finding cool things. So one day I am running up to the entrance and I came across the weirdest head stone I have ever seen. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that this is the weirdest headstone I WILL ever see. I rode my bike down there the other day to get this picture.
Initially I was struck with the boldness of the designer who had put all this guy's sins right there in stone for every person that walks by to see. I wondered if this guy's wife was a bitter woman, looking for a way to get back at the husband that left her for drugs, alcohol, prostitutes, poker, prescription drugs, etc. That had an edge of sadistic humor to it, and I was amused by this brazen woman I have never met.
Then the nicer person in me came out, and I thought "if I were to die right now what would be on my headstone?" There is some room for self reflection here. Are you living in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed if every passing person could see you at every moment of the night and day? Are there some things that you don't want engraved in stone six feet above your head?
Dane, my dear, if I die before you please just put my name on the headstone!
Dane, my dear, if I die before you please just put my name on the headstone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, now that is a headstone! Room for self-respection indeed. :) But I am just curious as well, was his name on the back or was the headstone nameless? Also interesting how there is the footprint story and then on the left of the headstone there is just one set of footprints and then a link that is holding him back is loosening. Just wonder what the whole story behind the headstone is? But I am with you my name willbe just fine. ;)
ReplyDeleteHis name AND picture are on the other side... and all his kids pictures as well. CRAZY! There are always flowers by his headstone, which means his family comes to visit often. Maybe the wife/mom did all this to remind her kids frequently to not be idiots. It's all very interesting!
ReplyDelete