Do you remember that nutri-grain bar commercial where this mom starts out her day with a nutri-grain bar... and on the other side of the split screen the same woman has a sweet roll for breakfast? Through out the commercial the nutri-grain girl makes good choices, exercises, plays with her kids, takes the stairs instead of the escalator, etc. The sweet roll girl drags through the day is lazy and generally doesn't look like she's "doing a body good." I didn't "buy" this commercial... sometimes eating that sweet roll made me want to go on a run to counteract the goodness. So I still don't buy that commercial, but I do buy into the reverse philosophy, meaning exercise and treating your body well will perpetuate that practice.
Last week I ran almost everyday. I have been running somewhat regularly but not more than three times a week. The fact that I pushed through and was able to exercise like I wanted to was a really good accomplishment for me. I was proud that I was finally treating my body well, and doing good things for it to work at it's prime. One night this past week I was hungry and it was late, and I definitely was not going to cook something, so Dane was asking me where I wanted to grab some food. I knew I definitely did not want Taco bell or Wendy's or any other fast food chain. I didn't want to do that to my body after I had been so good to it. I ended up going home and we made omelets. I've thought about this, and there is just something to listening to your body... I don't know if you are like me, but if I ever eat fast food I know that I didn't do the best thing for this God-given gift of mine. On the flip side, there is always a nice feeling I get associated with good healthy food. I think that we need to pay attention to those feelings more than we do.
My sister has had to do a similar project (not by choice) for her addictions class. Yes, she is in the Social Work program. She hasn't gone to get fast food this whole year... this is a feat for her. She LOVES Wendy's. She has echoed the same feelings. There is just something good about treating your body well. She also has started to work out regularly and she was able to lose about 13 lbs with out doing anything else... just cutting fast food (and ice cream) and exercising. She didn't have much to lose, but the little bit of fat that had crept up on her over the past few years was blasted off her with two simple practices.
It's not that hard to get the ball rolling, but once that good momentum starts keep it going. Perpetuate good habits!
I know what you mean! Though sometimes I still want the french fries...
ReplyDeleteAnd where could Jenny's 13 pounds have come from?! She must have borrowed them from someone else.
Yes! I feel the same way! I'm trying to do the same thing, only I'm riding my bike. After a good bike ride I find myself not wanting to eat anything unhealthy since it would counteract my 30 minute work-out. I've only been doing this for a couple weeks, but my body feels great! :)
ReplyDeleteI like this post. One of my "new year resolutions" is no fast food, and I've been fast food free for the last what? 4 months of the year. It feels great. I ran the Rex Lee 10K a few weeks ago and when I ran past wendy's the deep fried smell almost made me want to gag...it was funny...and awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteI would like to make an amendment to this post. First of all, I am now avoiding fast food of my own choice, not just for class, because my substance abuse project ended yesterday. I'm planning on making 2011 the year without fast food. :) Second of all, it's actually up to 15 pounds now, and Elizabeth, they've disappeared from somewhere, cuz they're gone now!! :)
ReplyDeleteJenny!!! I thought you were trying gain weight, you crazy girl? What happened to that goal? I'm afraid you may waste away!
ReplyDeletefounnnnnd you haha... It always feels good to be good to your body. I just need to remember that more often!
ReplyDelete