
On my birthday we started out the day by waking up at the same time I would have had to get up if I was going to work that day. For some reason I wasn't tired at all... I guarantee you if I was going to work, I would have had to pull myself out of bed. Weird how that works. Dane went out and got some food for a breakfast picnic in Kiwanis park. We were having fun eating and enjoying the nice weather when THE SPRINKLERS TURNED ON!!!!!!!!! It was so funny. We spilled fruit on the blanket, and some of our other food got a washing even though it didn't really need it. :)After that we headed up to SLC to go to the Nike outlet. Dane returned some things that we got at the Nike Employee store, and took that credit and poured it right back into Nike. (He has four packages on their way.) Once we did the sweep of the Nike store (two or three times) we headed up to Tooele.
Tooele is on the other side of the mountains that we're used to seeing in the Salt Lake Valley or Utah County. It was fun seeing different mountain sides and being next to the Great Salt Lake.
We found the airport, watched a 20 minute video on how to Skydive,
signed our life away,
met our "tandem master," 
got strapped into a harness,
did a quick "dry" run, 
and were in an airplane shortly after that. Dane thought he would be a little nervous about the height thing... But he said he never was worried about that. The only time he was worried about it was when the plane leveled off at 13,500 ft. They threw the door open, and a couple experienced jumpers jumped right out. Colin, the guy I was attached to scooted me down the bench. I got to the edge of the plane, got my toes hanging over the edge, put my head back, grabbed on to my shoulder straps and.... We JUMPED!!!!
It was GREAT!!!! The first second you get the little roller coaster feeling in your stomach, but after that it really goes away. You just feel like you are in a really windy place, and there is NOTHING around you. Dane bought me a video so the camera man "flew" up to us, and we did some spins. Since he was around us, I was looking at him. It was fun seeing the "sign language" the camera man used to communicate with Colin.
Dane didn't get a video of his jump so his experience was different than mine. He didn't have anything close to him (except the guy strapped to is back, Justin). So he spent his free fall looking around and seeing the beautiful mountains that were green from all the rain that we've had lately.
One of the questions that we've gotten a lot was, "did it hurt when the parachute deployed?" The answer is no. On my movie it shows my legs getting all thrown around, (which makes it seem much worse than it really is). I've tried to analyze why that happened. I've come up with a couple theories:
- I was just chilling so my legs weren't flexed. Then they just got tossed when we deployed.
- The momentum carried them forward/up.
I got to watch Dane land, and we were hot on their heels. Landing wasn't that big of a deal. It was so easy. When we were watching our training movie we saw a clip of "Someone that didn't listen to their tandem master." It showed them getting dragged on their face for 15-20 feet. Luckily both Dane and I followed directions. Justin told Dane he better lift up his legs really high, or he would ride Dane across the lawn like a boogie board. He said it may be fun for him, but not as much fun for Dane. Stopping was gentle, just put your feet down and take a couple steps. End of story. Easy.
My video guy comes running up to us, and asks how it was and if I would do it again. Dane runs over, gives me a hug, and I answer the question with, "Well Dane says this is our only time doing this. So..." Dane chimes in, "Well, maybe not!" (Yes!) Obviously we both had an amazing time. It was so much fun and it was a great birthday present. Thanks Dane for being willing to follow your wife out of a plane!
We finished the day with a fun get together pool party with some family and a few friends!
Dane also used this as a time to get a good water basketball game going. What a fun day. Thank you Dane. I'll always remember this as one of my favorite birthdays!
Wow!!!! That sounds like a lot of fun! By the way, you look fabulous. Your short hair is cute! By the way, if you guys are driving out to Boston and need somewhere to stay that you don't have to pay for a hotel, we are not far off of the 70 here in Ohio. Just let us know!
ReplyDeletei'm soo glad you guys enjoyed it!! i went on my 18th birthday with my dad & my boyfriend & his dad. i would LOVE to go again with austin! happy birthday & if you 2 wanna stop into dc just let me know! we'd love love love to have you!!:)
ReplyDeleteHAPPY LATE-BIRTHDAY!! I am way impressed with you and Dane. Not that many people would be able to make the jump let alone say they are willing to do it again! I have thought about going, but deep down inside I think I know I would never make it out of the plane :) Glad to see that you guys are doing so well.
ReplyDeleteAmy...your hair is soo so cute like that. miss your sweet face. Skydiving...ahh jealous. Trent and I have always wanted to go but now we feel weird going cause we have kids. Happy bday.
ReplyDeleteThat was the same place I took my jump at! So fun! Except I DID loose my cookies on the way down...that not so fun.
ReplyDelete