Stranded at the drive in
Branded a fool
What will they say Monday at school?
What will they say Monday at school?
I feel like Danny from the movie Grease. Except, instead of being stranded at the drive in, I'm stranded at the Denver International Airport. Well, kind of... I'm being dramatic. Shocking! I know. We'll get to that.
We had a great weekend here in Denver with our bestest of friends Chris and Ashley Bernal. We flew in on Friday and Ashley came to pick us up and bring us back to her awesome pad. Seeing what a cute place they got, for the amount they are paying each month, made me get really excited to move to Denver. Also, we got the inside scoop from Ash why Denver is such an awesome place to live. Somehow the Bernal's found the perfect place to live in. They are literally 5 minutes from everything and anything... (but the airport, which happens to be in the middle of nowhere).
Friday night we went to the NHL Colorado Avalanches game. This was Dane and my first NHL game. My only hope and criteria for the game was to watch a good fight. Within the first 5 minutes of us being there a fight broke out, it was only between two players, but still. The whole crowd cheered when the Av player took the Ducks guy to the ice. I thought it was funny watching the two refs that stood by and moved their equipment, which they had thrown off for the fight, out of the way. Then, after being on the ice for a few seconds both players just got up and went to their respective penalty box. No big deal. There was almost another fight but the players involved just got up in each others faces and didn't make it real exciting. The Av's got spanked.
The whole game we were getting updates on the BYU game when Jimmer dropped 52 points on New Mexico. Take that SUCKERS! Finally beat the one team we have lost to, in conference, this year. It was fun going home and watching all the madness on Sports Center.
Saturday Dane went to interview at our number one pick University of Colorado - Denver. We're keeping our fingers crossed for this one. They interview about 160 Colorado residence for 45 spots. So Dane just has to beat out about 2/3 of the other applicants. His interview went extremely well. He felt better about this interview than any other place he's interviewed so far. We are just going to keep the prayers going and do any other superstitious thing we can... knock on wood, fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder... wait.
So today we get to the airport, and I know it was going to be a long shot to actually get out of Denver this evening, but I was hoping that things would work out for me. Once again back to all those superstitious things. When I listed myself for my standby position on Delta I was the only one on the list with three seats available. I was hopeful knowing that I better get on this flight, or I'd probably be in a really bad position for the rest of the night and I'd probably end up spending the night in Denver.
So I get to the gate right as they are starting to board the plane. They start paging passengers saying last call... This is the exciting time for me. I'm just hoping that all those names are stuck in traffic, or got on an earlier flight. Because, if they aren't coming then I have a shot of getting on the flight. Unfortunately this is a tiny plane that we are boarding so the chances aren't very good for me. They page this one guy... No answer... They page a standby family (party of 4!) and I'm thinking "oh boy, I'm after a family of four! I don't have a chance." The gate agent asks if they are willing to go if they have one seat. They aren't so they go back to the list, and are looking for the next standby on the list. Back to all the superstitious stuff. They called out a name.... not mine. AH! Dang. So they are going to take this lucky standby passenger down to the plane to make sure there is a seat there, and right as they are about to roll on down the jet way. This old guy comes strolling up to the gate. He gets on the plane, they shut the door, and I'm out of luck.
Dane's flight took off about 20 minutes after mine so I went to hang out with him. We get the bright idea to try and buy a ticket for his flight. I asked, they already have 2 paying passengers waiting on standby. They get one of the two of those on the flight.
I didn't want to have to buy a ticket home, but it was going to be buy a ticket home or buy a hotel room. I checked Delta's network and I was listed as number 20 out of 22 standby going for a flight with 1 seat available. There is NO way that I'll make it on that flight. I was still at Dane's gate, so I went up to the Southwest desk and bought a ticket. Yes, the flight lands 3 hours after Dane's, but I'm just glad to know that I'll be home tonight, and I don't have to pay for a hotel, miss work, and have Dane drive up to the airport tomorrow. Numbers wise it does turn out better for me to fly home tonight. So... Sold.
So here I am plugged in, logged on, waiting to take off. :) Only 2 more hours to kill before my flight. And... I just overheard that BYU is a 3 seed for the NCAA tournament. That's fine. We'll do all that superstitious stuff again for that.
We had a great weekend here in Denver with our bestest of friends Chris and Ashley Bernal. We flew in on Friday and Ashley came to pick us up and bring us back to her awesome pad. Seeing what a cute place they got, for the amount they are paying each month, made me get really excited to move to Denver. Also, we got the inside scoop from Ash why Denver is such an awesome place to live. Somehow the Bernal's found the perfect place to live in. They are literally 5 minutes from everything and anything... (but the airport, which happens to be in the middle of nowhere).
Friday night we went to the NHL Colorado Avalanches game. This was Dane and my first NHL game. My only hope and criteria for the game was to watch a good fight. Within the first 5 minutes of us being there a fight broke out, it was only between two players, but still. The whole crowd cheered when the Av player took the Ducks guy to the ice. I thought it was funny watching the two refs that stood by and moved their equipment, which they had thrown off for the fight, out of the way. Then, after being on the ice for a few seconds both players just got up and went to their respective penalty box. No big deal. There was almost another fight but the players involved just got up in each others faces and didn't make it real exciting. The Av's got spanked.
Saturday Dane went to interview at our number one pick University of Colorado - Denver. We're keeping our fingers crossed for this one. They interview about 160 Colorado residence for 45 spots. So Dane just has to beat out about 2/3 of the other applicants. His interview went extremely well. He felt better about this interview than any other place he's interviewed so far. We are just going to keep the prayers going and do any other superstitious thing we can... knock on wood, fingers crossed, salt over the shoulder... wait.
So today we get to the airport, and I know it was going to be a long shot to actually get out of Denver this evening, but I was hoping that things would work out for me. Once again back to all those superstitious things. When I listed myself for my standby position on Delta I was the only one on the list with three seats available. I was hopeful knowing that I better get on this flight, or I'd probably be in a really bad position for the rest of the night and I'd probably end up spending the night in Denver.
So I get to the gate right as they are starting to board the plane. They start paging passengers saying last call... This is the exciting time for me. I'm just hoping that all those names are stuck in traffic, or got on an earlier flight. Because, if they aren't coming then I have a shot of getting on the flight. Unfortunately this is a tiny plane that we are boarding so the chances aren't very good for me. They page this one guy... No answer... They page a standby family (party of 4!) and I'm thinking "oh boy, I'm after a family of four! I don't have a chance." The gate agent asks if they are willing to go if they have one seat. They aren't so they go back to the list, and are looking for the next standby on the list. Back to all the superstitious stuff. They called out a name.... not mine. AH! Dang. So they are going to take this lucky standby passenger down to the plane to make sure there is a seat there, and right as they are about to roll on down the jet way. This old guy comes strolling up to the gate. He gets on the plane, they shut the door, and I'm out of luck.
Dane's flight took off about 20 minutes after mine so I went to hang out with him. We get the bright idea to try and buy a ticket for his flight. I asked, they already have 2 paying passengers waiting on standby. They get one of the two of those on the flight.
I didn't want to have to buy a ticket home, but it was going to be buy a ticket home or buy a hotel room. I checked Delta's network and I was listed as number 20 out of 22 standby going for a flight with 1 seat available. There is NO way that I'll make it on that flight. I was still at Dane's gate, so I went up to the Southwest desk and bought a ticket. Yes, the flight lands 3 hours after Dane's, but I'm just glad to know that I'll be home tonight, and I don't have to pay for a hotel, miss work, and have Dane drive up to the airport tomorrow. Numbers wise it does turn out better for me to fly home tonight. So... Sold.
So here I am plugged in, logged on, waiting to take off. :) Only 2 more hours to kill before my flight. And... I just overheard that BYU is a 3 seed for the NCAA tournament. That's fine. We'll do all that superstitious stuff again for that.
Denver!!! that's where we're hoping to end up..we'll see. That would be fun if we end up around the same area ;)Good Luck with that!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, and all the other superstitious stuff.
ReplyDeleteOh I'm throwing salt over my shoulder as we speak for ya! I wanna see you!
ReplyDelete